Wednesday, October 14, 2009

In my Front Yard

This environmental issue is important to me for a lot of reasons. Growing up in Seattle, I was encouraged to take on the city's environmental attitude. It wasn't until I moved back to California for college and saw the dorm cafeteria, trash rooms and dumpsters that I realized that not everyone was as earth conscious as Seattle. The ocean is also a very big part of my life. Being by the water has always been very important to me. Surfing to me = happiness,peace, and sanity. I specifically scheduled my classes,job, and internship hours, just so I'm able to surf at least 3 days out of the week. The idea of not being able to go in the ocean or enjoy our coast is almost unfathomable to me, but I know it could be very well be a possibility at the rate we're going.

I recently moved to a house on the water in Newport Beach, so this has become even more personal to me. Interning for Surfrider Foundation this summer I participated in beach cleanups and saw the trash that is left on shore. But just walking around in the sand in front of my house I was surprised to see just how much trash there was in such a small area. Below are pictures of plastic from the beach in front of my house. I wasn't able to upload all my pictures, but I found about 60 plastic items in an area less than half the size of a city block.





























































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment